Not only does stretching feel good but it is an important component of our overall health and fitness. Stretching ensures the muscles stay flexible and strong allowing for good range of motion in the joints. Without stretching the muscles may shorten and become tight. Your muscles can be compared to elastic bands. The shorter and tighter they are, the less force they produce and the longer and more flexible they are, the more force they produce. This allows for adequate support to the joints lowering the risks of injury. No matter your age or gender, flexibility is needed to perform everyday activities, not just to aid in athletic performance.
What are the Benefits of Morning Stretches?
Stretching in the morning is a great way to get the muscles warmed up and ready for any obstacles throughout the day preventing injury. Other benefits include:
- Increasing the blood flow to your muscles and joints which can help with joint pain and stiffness.
- Alleviates tension and relaxes muscles which can help reduce stress.
- Reduces lower back pain caused by tension within certain muscles
- Decreases muscle soreness from the gym or post-operation
- It improves the mobility of your body and prevents loss of motion
- It can Improve your posture
- It can improve athletic performance
- It increases the amount of calories you burn in a day which may aid in weight loss
Contact Us Today
We hope you found this article about stretching in the morning insightful. Your body will thank you if you set aside at least five minutes of your morning to stretch and reset your body. For more information about the benefits of morning stretches contact Williams & Locke Physiotherapists today! We would be more than happy to assist.